Bibingka, is a popular breakfast or merienda (snack) food. Traditionally, it’s placed on a banana leaf-lined terra cotta pot and baked in a clay oven with pre-heated coals. For this recipe we replaced the terra cotta pot with a 10″ FINEX
cast iron Skillet and baked it over a wood fire.
- 1 C sweet rice flour
- ¾ C sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 C whole milk
- ½ C coconut milk
- 3 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp brown butter, melted
- 1 banana leaf, washed & dried
- Salted egg or cured egg yolk
- Parmesan cheese or Edam cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Cut banana leaf into squares and line 10” Skillet with alternating sheets.
- Trim any excess that rises above the lip of the pan.
- Combine all dry ingredients (rice flour, sugar, baking powder, salt) in one bowl and all liquid ingredients (milk, coconut milk, eggs, butter) in another.
- Mix all liquid ingredients with dry ingredients until fully incorporated. Allow to sit for 20 minutes to fully hydrate the flour.
- Pour batter into banana leaf lined skillet and bake for about 30 minutes.
- To test, insert a cake tester or toothpick, if clean, cake is finished.
- Once out of the oven, let cool and grate Edam cheese or Parmesan cheese on top.
- If using salted egg, chop and add before baking.
- If using cured egg yolk, simply grate over top with the cheese.
Pre-seasoned and Ready to Cook out of the box!
Heavy-gauge Cast Iron
Machined Cooking Surface for near non-stick